Accused choker to stay behind bars

16th June 2017 4:21 PM

A BILOELA man accused of choking his former partner at her home near Toowoomba will remain behind bars after being denied bail.

Matthew John Tatt has been accused of domestic violence choking, burglary and wilful damage.

Mr Tatt applied for bail in Brisbane Supreme Court on Friday.

The court heard on April 25, a drunken Mr Tatt turned up at his former partner's house. She let him inside but he soon became angry.

The woman said she did not feel comfortable with him in the house and asked him to leave. Instead he allegedly grabbed her around the throat and put his hand over her mouth, preventing her from breathing.

He is alleged to have then let go and punched a nearby wall, damaging it.

The court heard Mr Tatt grabbed the woman a second time around the throat just before the police arrived. They allegedly found her with bruising to her neck and face and Mr Tatt became angry and abusive towards the police.

Mr Tatt's lawyer Michael Bosscher said his client proposed to live on a farm outside Biloela, about 470km from Toowoomba.

Mr Bosscher said Mr Tatt would agree to abstain from alcohol, abide by a curfew and have no contact with the alleged victim.

The court heard a previous bail application had been delayed when it emerged Mr Tatt had contacted his former partner from jail.

Justice Sue Brown said Mr Tatt was too great a risk of contacting the woman and interfering with her testimony.

Bail was refused.

- NewsRegional