Don’t rule out storm activity
THE Bureau of Meteorology has said not to rule out a storm for Biloela and the surrounds this afternoon and evening.
The bureau issued a severe thunderstorm warning at 2.54pm this afternoon with severe thunderstorms likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours in the Capricornia and parts of the Central Highlands and Coalfields.
Peter Markworth, from the bureau, said that Biloela, Roma, Bundaberg, Gladstone, Rockhampton, Blackwater, Calliope, Gin Gin and Mount Morgan were locations likely to be affected.
“Biloela has a number of thunderstorms around it currently,” Mr Markworth said.
“Biloela is in the middle of a severe thunderstorm warning and has recorded a couple of millimetres of rainfall already.
“I wouldn’t rule out storm activity around Biloela yet.”
There have been some decent rainfall recordings already in the region with the Gladstone Airport recording 66mm from noon-1pm and the Blackdown Tablelands got 56mm between 2-3pm.
The Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5.55pm.